Resources for Sickle Cell
Last updated: November 2021
Do you or a loved one live with sickle cell disease (SCD)? There are resources that can help manage the condition. Some common questions that come up may include:
FAQs and resources
- Can diet help manage a pain crisis?
- How can I manage pain at home?
- What questions should I ask the doctor? Is there anything I should do to prepare?
- When should I go to the ER?
- How do I cope with a long hospital stay?
- What treatments are available for people with sickle cell?
- How soon should treatment begin after going to the ER? What are acceptable forms of treatment for crises?
Balancing work and health
- How do I balance my health and my work? Are there protections for people with long-term illnesses?
- Do I qualify for disability insurance?
Paying for care
- Are there resources to help me afford treatment?
- Do I qualify for Medicare or Medicaid? How do I apply for Medicare or Medicaid?
- How will sickle cell impact my finances?
Supporting people with sickle cell
- How can I support a loved one with sickle cell?
- Does donating blood help people with sickle cell?
- What should I know about clinical trials?
- Where can I find a clinical trial?
Recognizing and dealing with racism
- How does racism impact sickle cell care?
- What are some ways to manage racist attitudes in healthcare settings?
Mental health resources
- What is mental health?
- How does sickle cell impact mental health?
- Where can I find resources for mental health?
How can I find support on Sickle-Cell.com?
- Looking to ask a question? Reach out to others in the community through the forums.
- Want to share your story?